coerced treatment

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Jun 13 14:57:35 PDT 2001

Peter Kosenko wrote:

> By the way, the Japanese school slasher was supposedly on some sort of psychotropic medication as an outpatient "maintenance" case (actually, he probably wasn't an "out"-anything, since I think he was simply given the drugs and told to take them). "Drug treatment" alone apparently didn't help him deal with whatever problems he had.

This episode will reinforce a lot of sheer ignorance. The point of departure for rational consideration of this is that such violence is extraordinarily rare; it is rare even among sufferers from schizophrenia who are _not_ receiving treatment. Accordingly, _nothing_ follows from the episode. There is nothing to be learned from it. But no doubt millions of amateurs of various sorts will draw incredibly profound and destructive lessons nevertheless.

Carrol