Fw: Amazon Campaign Volunteers Required For August and September

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Wed Jun 13 17:30:34 PDT 2001

Anyone interested in working in the Amazon jungle?? Brenda R

----- Original Message ----- From: <messages at dynamic.greenpeace.org> To: <shelter at tassie.net.au> Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2001 9:44 AM Subject: Amazon Campaign Volunteers Required For August and September

> Amazon Campaign Volunteers Required For August and September
>
> Greenpeace is seeking volunteers for a unique and physically demanding
project in a remote part of the western Amazon during August and September.

> Greenpeace has been working for almost two years with the Deni Indians in
the Brazilian Amazon. The Deni's traditional land is under threat from logging companies, in particular from the Malaysian company WTK.

> Under Brazilian law, Indian lands have to be physically demarcated (i.e.
the boundaries marked) before they are officially recognized. Once the land is demarcated industrial scale activities, including logging, are forbidden. Normally the Brazilian federal government takes control of the physical demarcation, contracting survey crews and technicians. This process can last many years. In the case of the Deni, there have been over ten years of false starts and broken promises.

> Over the past two years, along with two expert indigenist organisations,
we have been sharing with the Deni the technical expertise and political knowledge they required in order for them to take charge of the process, to supervise the demarcation of their own lands. This is called "self-demarcation", and is very rare in Brazil.
> The Deni are now ready to take charge of their demarcation. With great
pleasure we will return to the Deni lands in August to assist them with this process. The Deni, in addition to the involvement of some of the existing Greenpeace Amazon team, have invited six volunteers to participate.

> "Participate" means to be a member of one of three teams that are
demarcating the most vulnerable areas of the Deni's lands. One team will demarcate an area on the Cuniua River -- they will post signs along the river banks advising people that the land is Deni. The two other teams will demarcate two areas of land near the Xerua River -- each cutting a path one metre wide by approximately 50 kilometres long through the jungle, and posting the Deni's boundary signs along these paths. The Cuniua team will be based from a river boat, whilst the two Xerua teams will camp in the jungle for the duration of the demarcation.

> We are looking for volunteers who can work in extremely difficult jungle
conditions. Successful candidates must be:

> - In excellent physical condition and capable of hard manual labour in
extreme conditions
> - A calm, patient, sensible team worker
> - Available from approximately August 10 until the end of September
> - Prepared to write regular diary entries describing your experiences for
display on the Internet and for use in Greenpeace publications
> - Be articulate and willing to share your experiences with the media and
Greenpeace supporters in your home country.

> Fluency in Portuguese would be a major asset.
>
> To apply for one of these positions, please send a CV and cover letter via
e-mail to:

> Anne Dingwall
> Greenpeace Amazon Campaign
> Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil
> E-mail: anne.dingwall at dialb.greenpeace.org
>
> Applications must be received by June 23. Unfortunately, Anne does not
have the capacity to respond to every application. We will contact a short list of potential candidates by June 30. If you have not heard from us by then, then you have not made the short list.

> UPGRADE YOUR MEMBERSHIP
>
> Upgrade your cyberactivism membership at our Cybercentre to participate in
discussions and get your own home page at:

http://cybercentre.greenpeace.org/t/s/ce?us=2&ap=CycM9ZSvlOSMgDygdkmQ99Mv%2b noHSoBNCcL9%0a