coerced treatment

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Jun 14 15:30:07 PDT 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

> What I meant to criticize is the tendency towards a political stance that gives
> primary emphasis to the supposedly self-actualizing individual. This can be one of
> the points at which the right makes inroads on the left. Thomas Szasz is a gross
> example.

We are agreed on this. Re atomistic individualism

"The impetous for the development of a rights theory was the need to find a basis for reconciling opponents within a disintegrating society characterized by violent religious, political and economic conflicts. Its major proponents were the rising capitalist classes who were attempting to justify their claims to the political power on the basis of thier growing economic power." Gare, A. 1996, Nihilism Inc. p. 45

However, it is important that individuals develop individual strength to exercise their will when it comes to institutional domination and other forms of oppression. Segregation of disabled individuals by society is the instance foremost in my mind but as you know there are others. It is these individuals who are actively engaged in throwing off the shackles because we see the problems -- how far we get under a capitalist economy is another question. Every reform movement is and will be limited by class power in a class based economy.

Marta