Rob Schaap on Foucault

Fri Jun 15 13:48:18 PDT 2001

>>> d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk 06/12/01 02:55AM >>>

In fact, all that Foucault says about truth can be rephrased in terms that even WVO Quine wouldn't have any problem with; that all logical reasoning (even mathematics) is a particular behaviour-pattern of one kind of land-mammal on the Planet Earth. It's just that Foucault tries to take this important truth seriously rather than saying it portentously and then going on as if nothing else had changed.

CB: Well, Foucault's observation is an out of body "experience" ok for a moment, but he can't really stop being one kind of land-mammal on the Planet Earth except in his imagination.

((((((((

But I suspect that a lot of us "don't want to be the kind of person who thinks that way", perhaps because we suspect that that kind of person is French.

((((((((

CB: The French can't get out of most of the consequences of being a kind of land-mammal on the Planet Earth either.