The decline of commercial agriculture

Joanna Sheldon cjs10 at cornell.edu
Sat Jun 16 05:45:38 PDT 2001

Just saw this. No reason for David Thomas to be astonished. This is old news amongst organic growers, and one of the best reasons to eat only or mostly organic food.

cheers, Joanna S

At 18:02 13-06-01, Brenda Rosser sent:
>Daily Mail, March 5, 2001
>
>FRUIT and vegetables are not as good for us as they were 50 years ago
>according to a scientific study. Modem farming methods mean that the
>amount of essential minerals In the food we eat has been reduced
>alarmingly. There is up to 75 per cent less calcium and 93 per cent less
>copper . In fruit and vegetables, the study says. Runner beans which
>used to contain a significant amount of sodium - vital for the working of
>the nerves and muscles - now have almost no traces of it at all.
>
>The levels of other important minerals such as iron, phosphorous,
>potassium and magnesium have also plummeted. Nutritionist David Thomas
>said he was 'astonished' by his flndlngs. 'Minerals have been recognised
>as being very important to our physiology, but the general public has no
>idea that there has been this dramatic decline in the levels of such
>elements in our food,' he said. His research allowed that broccoli has 75
>per cent less calcium, which is essential for building healthy body and
>teeth. Carrots have 75 per cent less magnesium, which protects against
>heart attacks, asthma and kidney stones.

<snip>

----- my site www.overlookhouse.com news from down under www.smh.com.au