Necessity of Preaching to the (hidden) Choir, Re: [PEN-L:13474] Re: lighten up

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jun 17 09:27:32 PDT 2001

For many years I have argued against the commonplace wisdom that we (leftist, "the left" when it appears) should avoid "preaching to the choir." I have argued this on a number of grounds, but chiefly on the basis of the proposition that no one else but "the choir" will listen to us long enough to hear what we have to say. To stick with the clumsy metaphor of preacher and choir, for the left there is no one in the audience but the choir, and if we don't preach to them we will be preaching to the empty air. The choir is enlarged through person to person activity by its present members and, more importantly, by action, which causes ears to prick up of those who would not otherwise be listening. And what will engage those extra listeners: telling them what they already know but were afraid to admit they knew because they have been isolated. That is where Rob's post quoted below comes in. Those members of the radio audience who "heard" him in any significant sense were those who already agreed with him, but had never before heard their own thoughts expressed in terms that revealed to them what they had been thinking.

Rob Schaap wrote:

<<<I remember prattling away on the radio about pay TV a few years ago - found myself talking about what 'choice' had come to mean . . .and asking why it was I had ever more of it in my constrained role as a consumer at the mall, but ever less of it in my temporally much more significant roles as worker and citizen. I [then] shut [up]. . . . It was about 9.00 in the morning, and most of the audience seemed to be housewives. . . . A surprising, but deeply gratifying, hour of female voices ensued - always beginning with 'I thought I was the only one who thought that stuff'. Something bigger than the wisdom we have is driving us, and one of the things it does is shut its individual possessors up to the point of making 'em feel lonely deviants in the having of it.>>>

"Something bigger than wisdom" is mere chatter. It takes a good deal of wisdom, that is a good deal of historical understanding (in Ollman's sense of first system, then history) to perceive the obvious -- particularly what is or will be obvious to others when it is thus articulated. And that "something" is not at all mysterious: the internal contradictions of capitalism, which bind even when not perceived.

(Probably humanist Rob will ascribe it to some sort of human essence; over on lbo several will ascribe it to the id or the ego or something, but these are merely 20th century variations on religion and of no theoretical interest. That those who believe in these myths can nevertheless have the perceptions Rob shows above exhibits, among other things, that anti-capitalist practice can absorb the most varied theoretical perspectives.)

Carrol