Moynihan on Social Security Woes

michael pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Jun 17 12:56:06 PDT 2001

On point #4, the notorious Moynihan Report from '65, I think, to LBJ, besides the polemic by William Ryan, "Blaming The Victim, " and, in an oblique way the response of Herbert Gutman to the Fogel and Engerman book from the mid-70's on slavery(Robert Fogel , btw, was a young Stalinist comrade of Eugene Genovese, in the Labor Youth League in the 50's. Edited their journal, New Foundations, see the Greenwood Press reprint of US Radical Peridicals), see the Lee Rainwater edited collection from the late 60's, The Moynihan Report and the Politics of Controversy." (Cf. the liberal anthropogist, Lewis, with the thesis of a "culture of poverty.) The newest book on all this, blurbed by the big names is by Alice O'Connor, " Poverty Knowledge: Social Science, Social Policy and the Poor in Twentieth Century History." First chapter is online at the Princeton University Press website.

On Moynihan more directly see the new bio by Godfrey Hodgson. In the bunch o' books on the neo-cons, I think that among the best are by Peter Steinfels and Arthur McGovern. The foreign policy views of neo-cons (M. was the UN ambassador during Ford, wrote a memoir after that was destroyed by Stanley Hoffman in Dissent) see a book by a John Ehrman. Title escapes me at the moment. Think it was published by Yale University Press, though. Pretty short, about 150 pgs. Michael Pugliese