(Marx and) Benjamin on art in the technical age

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Jun 18 08:42:09 PDT 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Joanna Sheldon wrote:

> It's very possible WB read the Grundrisse.

Actually I don't think it is possible, is it? Because the Grundrisse wasn't published until after B wrote this. But it wouldn't be the first time someone with a wont to rephilosophize Marx anticipated what would later be found in Marx's early texts. I think more likely the connection between the two is that they represent two of the earliest attempts to relate Marxism to art criticism. When two guys apply the same principles to the same field, we probably shouldn't be surprised when there's some similarity.

Michael