Economics As Religion

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Jun 18 19:02:09 PDT 2001

Yes, I do read the fusty old _New_York_Review_Of_Books_, in order to keep an eye on the bourgeoisie. And I found the following ad on page 20 of the June 21, 2001 edition. You may see that my attention has not been in vain --

(column 1)

penn

state

press

(column 2)

Luther Meets Smith

[ depressing book cover image ]

"Nelson does not regard

'theology' as a cuss word,

and so his detailed sutdy of

the theology underlying

Samuelsonian and Chicagoan

economics is not a putdown.

It's a way of seeing the

rhetoric of funadmental

belief -- what has been called

vision. Nelson ... speaks with

authority from within the

field.... His grasp of modern

economics is borad and firm. And so in theology, too. It's an

important, even an amazing

book: Luther meets Smith."

--Deirdre McCloskey, University of Illinois at Chicago

(column 3)

ECONOMICS AS RELIGION

FROM SAMUELSON TO CHICAGO AND BEYOND

Robert H. Nelson

Foreword by Max L. Stackhouse, Princeton Theological Seminary

_An insightful exploration of the powerful role that economic belief plays in our modern society_.

"In economic research, as with all sytstematic thought, there is no such thing as unguided observation. Economists interpret events and make predictions through the distortive lenses of paradigms. In this book, which draws fascinating parallels between economic paradigms and religious dogma, Robert Nelson offers a critical survey of modern economic thought that is a informative as it is provocative. _Economics_as_Religion_ will be of interest not only to economists but also to anyone eager to know more about how scientific disciplines operate."

-- Timur Kuran,

University of Southern California

408 pages * $35.00 cloth

-- or maybe not....