Fwd: Re: political coordinates

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 19 11:54:44 PDT 2001

[I asked Christopher Hitchens whether there was any truth to rumors he no longer found himself on the left, and that he'd become a Republican (or was that a republican?). His reply.]

Dear Doug,

The republican bit has always been true, whether for Ireland or for Britain. What I said to Time mag, who didn't garble it all that badly, is that I think of myself as having some convictions and even principles, but no longer as having any allegiances. It's been falling away for years and I recently realised that it had quite painlessly gone altogether: ie if there was suddenly an attempt to revive the DC chapter of DSA, say, I wouldn't even sit up in bed.

I'm sticking with the UAW and the Writers Union, though. And of course a transfer of allegiance to "the other side" is also excluded. I might get more in touch with my libertarian side....

Feel free to show this to anyone who's kind enough to be curious. Hope you thrive.

fraternally (I still sign like that without thinking) Christopher