academic economics

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:47:02 PDT 2001

>Back in 1978 or 1979, a friend of mine who preceded me in dropping
>out of the UVa English dept went to work for the local paper, the
>awful Daily Progress. He filed a FOIA request for all professorial
>salaries, and they published it as a supplement one day. There were
>huge variations - between medicine and English, of course, but also
>within dept's there were discrepancies at the same rank and
>experience of $15,000, which was a lot 23 years ago, thanks to
>supplementary private funds. Do other state unis do this?

Ohio State has that sort of discrepency; I don't know whether it is due to private funds. When I was there in the early 90s,, we put up $70K, to hire a sort of second or third rate "star" in phil mind as the prestige node of the dept; he was the something or another Professor of Whoosiz. I think it was University money, where it came from beyond that I don't know. The real strength of the dept of was history, but the wannabees in the dept despised history, passed up a chance to hire a top flight Kant scholar who would have come, let a leading medievalist to to UCLA, attracted, then alienated, a leading classicist from Berkleley. And of course, the fired me, although I was not really a historian, I apssed for one there.