US Trade Deficit (was, RE: moyhnihan on social security woes)

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Tue Jun 19 16:18:44 PDT 2001

Instead, the (presumably Federal revenue) surplus has acted as "collateral" on the current account trade deficit. It insures that this deficit remains in play as an ongoing financial process. This makes sense if the Clinton revenue policy is seen as a kind of forced socialized savings deployed as reserve banking capital, permitting (as with any banking operation) the extension of credit (through the intermediary of the commercial banks), in this case, for imported commodities, due to increasing 'globalization' of production and consumption. And as the surplus increased, so did the trade 'credit' bubble. This view would explain the ongoing "sustainability" of the trade deficit.

In light of this, the Bush revenue reductions may have the (perhaps unintended) consequence of pricking this bubble. Or perhaps the Republicans are gambling that 'there is no alternative' to ongoing finance of the US trade deficit from abroad, with or without the "collateral".

-Brad Mayer