Telecoms- Why Planning is Better than Capitalism

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Jun 20 07:27:46 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman:
>>> The attached article is the best summary of why telecom deregulation
>>> has been a wasteful, irrational, destructive approach to building the
>>> high-speed Internet future. As the article notes, billions has been
>>> wasted building competing long distance fiber optic lines, ONLY 5% OF
>>> WHICH ARE NOW BEING USED, while investments in the critical last mile
>>> to the homes and office have had severe underinvestments.

I don't see why government technobureaucrats would necessarily be more (or less) efficient than corporate technobureaucrats at predicting demand and development. I imagine both subspecies flounder around, professionally speaking, and, if they want to keep their jobs -- as noted, a non-trivial problem -- keep their eye on the local political ball rather than their nominal tasks. This has certainly been the case almost everywhere I've worked.