Russian poverty "exaggerated"

Wed Jun 20 07:54:19 PDT 2001

>>> chrisd at russiajournal.com 06/19/01 11:24AM >>

-clip-

Question: That is, the level of poverty in Russia is exaggerated?

Answer: Yes, and very considerably, I think. Unregistered shadow incomes from the sale of agricultural products at outdoor markets are only one of the many factors. There is one more aspect. Many families do not sell but consume the fruit, vegetables, meat and milk they produce. But the level of poverty is calculated in Russia solely on the basis of monetary incomes. A considerable share of products acquired in the aforementioned manner is not taken into account. According to our tentative estimates, nearly 40 million households are related, in one way or another, to private agricultural production. In other words, the number of the poor is actually smaller than is officially announced.

((((((((

CB: This is also production for use and not for exchange, i.e., non-commodity production, that is , not the market , that is , not capitalism.