Moynihan on Social Security "Woes"

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jun 21 04:14:44 PDT 2001

The brunt of the privatization campaign will be on retirement. I suspect they will leave disability and survivors alone for the time being. The carve-out proposed by Bush and others typically is small enough to leave the full 'SDI' of OASDI alone. Naturally, once they break the back of the program with retirement, they will go after 'SDI'.

My impression is that the disability component is the best, in the sense of most economical, part of Soc Sec., compared to the cost of private insurance. It would be worth it for someone (hint) to do a little comparison shopping and do a piece explaining the relative cost of buying disability insurance privately and individually vs. thru Soc Sec., even for healthy people. Naturally, the cost of DI for older, less healthy people is probably prohibitive, and for the disabled it's probably astronomical.

mbs

marta said: The disability community is mobilizing against partial privatization. We see it as having the potential to destroy disability benefits.