Bonaparte rides into Tokyo

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Thu Jun 21 07:46:59 PDT 2001

"Revitalized" means obscured...as is indicated by the commentary at the end of this article concerning Tokyos' huge municipal debt. Of course, Washington, IMF and the gang fervently hope Koizumi will succeed:

Thursday, June 21 9:11 AM SGT

Koizumi faces first hurdle at

key Tokyo assembly election

TOKYO, June 21 (AFP) -

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, who has

revitalized Japanese politics with his record high

popularity, faces his first hurdle this weekend at a

key election for the capital's local assembly.

Koizumi travelled all over Tokyo at the launch of

the campaign last weekend to lend his backing to

candidates fielded by his Liberal Democratic

Party (LDP) for Sunday's election.

While the LDP has secured moderate support

thanks to the so-called "Koizumi effect," a

majority of voters have yet to make up their

minds who to vote for, according to pre-election

opinion polls.

"This election is significant as it will be the first

opportunity to confirm the people's approval for

Koizumi," said Muneyuki Shindo, professor of

politics at Rikkyo University.

The election, the first major ballot since Koizumi

scored a surprise victory for his party's

presidency and the nation's leadership in late

April, is widely seen as an indicator of the crucial

parliamentary upper house election in July.

"We need the strength of your support. Please

believe in me," Koizumi shouted to a huge crowd

on the stump at a Tokyo station. People roared

their approval when the premier sang a song by a

Japanese rock'n roll group.

"I am not a movie star," said a smiling Koizumi,

who enjoys a record-high public support of

around 85 percent. "But if people are interested

in us, Japan's politics can change."

Expectations of a boost to their electoral fortunes

rubbing off from the popular leader are high

among LDP candidates.

"The wind is clearly blowing in our favour," said

Akihiro Shoji, a secretary to LDP hopeful

Haruyasu Tateishi.

"His (Koizumi's) popularity is just enormous,"

Shoji said at his campaign office in downtown

Tokyo, where huge pictures of Koizumi and the

candidate shaking hands hung on the walls.

"If Prime Minister Koizumi had not become

premier, we might have left the LDP," the

secretary said.

Polls published Tuesday indicated that the LDP

had established a clear lead among voters who

had already made up their minds, but everything

hinged on the much larger proportion of floating

voters.

An Asahi Shimbun poll found 24 percent of

Tokyo voters had already decided to support the

LDP, while a Yomiuri Shimbun poll indicated

31.4 percent of Tokyo voters supported the

party.

"However, 46.3 percent (of the respondents)

said they were yet to decide which party to

support ... Their voting pattern is likely to decide

the election outcome," the Yomiuri said.

"This time I will vote for an LDP candidate

because I trust Prime Minister Koizumi," said

Kenichi Yabuki, a 53-year-old real estate

dealer. "I am sure that he will change Japan."

Misayo Konno, a 35-year-old kindergarten

worker, said the Koizumi factor alone was not

enough to determine which way she would vote.

"Although I like Koizumi, I will mainly base my

vote on the policies of individual candidates," she

said.

Analysts agree the impact of Koizumi's

popularity may be limited.

"The election rather depends upon each

individual candidate," said Nobuo Tomita,

honorary professor of Meiji University.

"Therefore, the real judgement on Koizumi's

policy will be delayed until the upper house

election."

Shigenori Okazaki, political analyst, UBS

Warburg, said: "Thanks to Koizumi, the LDP is

leading by a large margin in the Tokyo legislature

election."

But the final count may be "less dramatic" as the

LDP had put only 55 candidates, one seat more

than the party won in the previous election in

1997, Okazaki said.

Experts criticised candidates for putting aside

more important issues such as Tokyo's deficit,

which tops 88 billion yen (721 million dollars).

"There are a lot of things candidates should

discuss, including Tokyo's huge deficit," said

Rikkyo's Shindo. "It is more important to make

clear what candidates really want to do for this

megalopolis."

A total of 241 candidates will fight for 127

assembly seats in the city of 12 million, or 10

percent of Japan's population. Koizumi's LDP

now holds 48 seats in the assembly, the biggest

single bloc, but short of a simple majority.