Irish Nice vote

Andrew Flood andrewflood at eircom.net
Thu Jun 21 08:29:19 PDT 2001

>And the vote by the Irish can be read as a country that has benefitted
>mightily by participation in the European Union and now fears sharing the
>benefits - particularly fearing having to itself contribute aid - to the
>poorer nations asking for entry to the EU.
>
>I actually saw little admirable in the Irish vote against Nice. There may
>be problems with Nice that good lefties could articulate, but the campaign
>in Ireland looked based more on parochialism and privileged self-interest,
>not any kind of democratic principle.
>
>- -- Nathan Newman

Hi Nathan and others,

while this is the spin that the European establishment are putting on the vote it is not very accurate. Almost all (if not all) of the various No campaigns said they were in favour of enlargement (and indeed as the EU has now admitted that voting No would make no difference to this process, at least in the short term). The No campaigns themselves were sharply divided beyond this from 'pro-life' to revolutionary left and anarchist. Across this spectrum the main issues were - neutrality - anti-capitalist globalisations - loss of 'power' - on the part of the pro-life crowd a fear that EU would introduce abortion.

I was part of the anarchist campaign which has a web page at http://struggle.ws/about/nice.html where you can see the posters and leaflets we used, documents on some of the key issues and a critiue of one of the right wing no campaigns.

Andrew

International anarchism

http://struggle.ws/inter.html

Issues-> http://struggle.ws/revolt.html Me + PGP-> http://struggle.ws/andrew.html

Fax: 001 503 218 9764 (US number as it uses Efax)