Disability and OASDI "out there"

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jun 21 08:50:45 PDT 2001

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of John K. Taber Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 10:35 AM To: 'lbo_talk' Subject: Disability and OASDI "out there"

"Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

<< The brunt of the privatization campaign will be on retirement. I suspect they will leave disability and survivors alone for the time being. The carve-out proposed by Bush and others typically is small enough to leave the full 'SDI' of OASDI . . . The feeling is, that little extra "diverted" from SS taxes to the disabled Trust Fund, would solve the retiree's so-called shortfall if only it were kept where it "belonged."

I hate to put things crudely, but that's Usenet.

I feel that we should emphasize solidarity to help defeat any attempt to divide us along lines of selfishness.

mbs: I have never seen any proposal of the sort you mention, and I've seen a lot of shit. Solidarity is well-taken. As Marta alluded, the links between the components, which I'm not well-versed on, are probably worth more attention. The right has fixated on the retirement piece in order to compare it unfavorably with fictitious stock market returns. This focus might be something that could be turned against them, even though it is rebuttable as such.