The Right on Lovecraft (was: Beyond the Beltway - the real Americ an Right)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jun 21 11:20:02 PDT 2001

At 11:43 AM 6/21/01 -0400, michael p wrote:

>> > True that the roots of the word "hysteria" are
>> > sexist? "Womb sickness"???

This is an example of political correctness Doug wanted to know some time ago. Its essence is applying my ethical standards and imputing my understanding to someone else's thoughts.

Until recently, medicine was based on beliefs and rituals rather than on empirical science. As such, it reflected what sociologists call stock-knowledge of the time i.e. views and opinions comonly regarded as true without any further proof. This stock knowledge included, inter alia, beliefs about peculiarities of female bodies and behavior. Calling it "sexist" is tantamount to calling "ignorant" an ancient belief that the sun rotates around the earth. It might be ignorant today, because thanks to scientific progress we know better, but it reflected the 'state of the art' knowledge eight hundred years ago. Ditto for 'sexism.'

wojtek