Moynihan on Social Security "Woes"

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Jun 21 16:09:25 PDT 2001

"John K. Taber" wrote:

> Your comments are timely, Marta, thanks. I tend to focus on
> my own interests and miss others who would be even more hurt than
> me.
>
> Also, I think that women as a group would be more at risk by
> privatization, partial or otherwise, than me.
>
> I don't know how to do it, I'm just a retired computer programmer,
> but let's build bridges among each other.

The bridge here is that anyone can acquire a disability and fired by their employer -- may or may not be work related, so Social Security disability insurance is for everyone. I would suspect you are correct on women, We generally get less SS retirement income at the end of a work lifetime than men though I do not know if this is built into the SS formula or an outcome of having lower salaries.

best, marta