What is 'Neo-Liberalism'

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jun 22 07:26:58 PDT 2001

. . . And isn't it time to admit that NAFTA did not significantly decrease wages in the United States? And that it has boosted trade between the U.S. and Mexico? And that guaranteed tariff-free access to the American market is likely in the long run to be a very good thing for urban Mexico? (However, competition from Iowa is unlikely to be good news for rural grain-growing Mexico.) Brad DeLong

a. yes, and I'm glad you allow that it decreased them, which is more than I would have asserted; b. yes, but I don't think this -- 'boosted trade', which leaves a lot to the imagination -- was in contention; c. in the long run, sure, when we're . . . You know. d. As my daughter would say, "DOY!" Reminds me of Art Buchwald's "bad news/good news columns."

mbs