Fwd: Marxian Philosophy of History

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jun 22 09:33:08 PDT 2001

Alan Carling has offered a selectionist argument on behalf of the Marxian thesis that history has a degree of directionality. In summary, he contends that whenever two rival modes of production confront one another in terms of either economic/technological competition or political/military competition, then everything else being equal, the one that is best able to develop the forces of production, will most likely prevail.

Carling's thesis is developed in analogy with the Darwinian theory of evolution by natural selection. He furthers the analogy by positing that within modes of production, class struggles between exploiter classes and the exploited, serve as generators of new variants in the social relations of production. However, ultimately it is social selection on the basis of which relations will most facilitate the forces of production at a given time that determine which social relations of production will prevail.

Jim Farmelant