What is 'Neo-Liberalism'

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Fri Jun 22 11:12:07 PDT 2001

Brad DeLong wrote:

> But to say that the current state of Chile's economy demonstrates how
> awful the economic consequences of "neoliberal" policies are seems to
> me to reveal an extraorinarily large disconnect from reality...
. Well yes, Chile's p/c GDP has grown a lot faster than the other neoliberal Latin American countries'. But compared with non-neo-liberal S. Korea, has Chile really "developed"? It seems like all the income growth has come from extracting more fish, trees, berries and copper -- rather than scaling the technological hierarchy. Off the top of my head, I can name Samsung, Daewoo, Hyundai, and Kia. How many world-class Chilean companies can you name?

Seth