Fwd: BBC News EUROPE Body bags stockpiled for Genoa summit

/ dave / arouet at winternet.com
Fri Jun 22 19:33:29 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [How to read this? Are the authorities trying to talk up violence to
> discredit protests? Should we take this at face value?]
>
> <http://news.bbc.co.uk/low/english/world/europe/newsid_1400000/1400554.stm>
>
> Thursday, 21 June, 2001, 13:09 GMT 14:09 UK
> Body bags stockpiled for Genoa summit

I'm astounded that they're holding this meeting in Genoa/Genova. Having spent some time there, I well remember the labyrinthine streets and alleyways, the hilly areas, the overlooks, etc. Is it just me? Some version of mayhem seems very possible, provided people manage to avoid slipping and falling on the ubiquitous dog droppings on the cobblestones.

For the G-8 Summit, I predict -- well, I'll keep my mouth shut. I spoke up with my thoughts on the possible outcome of the U.S. Presidential election back in November, and look what happened. I don't need U.S. Marshalls at my door anytime soon.

But speaking of dog droppings (and harkening obliquely, if such a thing is possible, to Doug's forward of the South Park story), I find it completely, utterly *fascinating* from a sociological/psychological point of view to witness scores upon scores of fashion-conscious North American citizen-comrades gleefully, playfully even, swinging small plastic bags containing fresh animal feces as they ambulate for *block after block* along the sidewalks with their faithful four-legged instigators trotting beside them on a sunny summer's day - stopping to chat with friends, sip their lattes, etc., all the while seemingly unmindful of the curious cargo they transport. Perhaps it can only be a good thing, but wherein lies that crucial mechanism in the mind that makes such things possible? Find the answer to that, comrades, and revolution becomes ever more imminent.

--

/ dave /