RES: In Latin Economies, a Sinking Feeling

Alexandre Fenelon afenelon at zaz.com.br
Sun Jun 24 05:10:36 PDT 2001

-----Mensagem original----- De: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]Em nome de Ian Murray Enviada em: domingo, 24 de junho de 2001 00:07 Para: pen-l at galaxy.csuchico.edu Cc: Lbo-Talk at Lists. Panix. Com Assunto: RE: In Latin Economies, a Sinking Feeling

< http://www.iht.com/articles/23763.html >

Ls its failure. . In Brazil much more has been done about getting the domestic economy right. Massive privatizations have succeeded in attracting almost as much foreign money to Brazil every year as China receives. Fiscal policy has been highly conservative. Devaluation in the wake of the Asian financial crisis was successful. Since 1992 Brazil's per capita gross domestic product has risen 19 percent, compared with 11 percent for Argentina.

-This is wrong. Argentina made even more privatizations than Brazil, -we still have three federal banks, 80% of eletric generation (but -only 20% of distribution) and a huge oil company in state hands. -As for conservative fiscal policies, our public debt increased by -60% (as percentage of GNP) from 1994 to 2001. And we wonder about -how the policies that are taking one after another Latin American -country to disater are "getting the domestic economy right"

Alexandre