Labels

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 25 13:04:43 PDT 2001

Sure. Who wants the hoi poloi to read someone who pours scorn on those who would set the state free? In the FSU and the ex-bloc, "Marxist" education was based on indigestible boring texts, and not on Marx. I once had a smart Ukrainian emigre student, an engineer, who was absolutely astounded when he came to read Marx after growing up with a M-L education in the former USSR. "No wonder they don't teach this!" he said. "They wouldn't last a week if they did!" It didn't chamnge his mind--except about Marx. --jks