China Fascism weeds out the "unfit" from higher education

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Wed Jun 27 07:44:31 PDT 2001

Daniel Davies wrote:

> > CB: I agree with Carrol on defining fascism more rigorously , and not fast
> > and loose: the openly terrorist rule of the most chauvinist, reactionary
> > sectors of finance capital.
>
> Why _finance_ capital? Finance is typically far more open and international
> than industrial capital; it has a lot more to lose from autarky and less to
> gain from chuavinism, particularly if that is oupled with austerity. The
> stereotypic fascist is the small industrialist or shopkeeper, not the banker.

The openness you mention seems a bright blush on something a tad more odious. Bankers are more like B-52s, bombing at 35,000 feet, navigating and targeting through hi-tech, and rather indifferent to the conditions on the ground. International certainly in their range, scope, and consequence. Open largely as a result of dispassionate attention to accounting details but also fastidious so as to remain clean and above the fray of politics and struggle. You might add also quite sensitive to any hint of disorder or disruption. You may well be correct that the industrial booboosie produces far more sound and fury but I always thought that fascism was useful for bankers who obligingly lubricated its operations.

Dennis Breslin