Polish anti-semitism

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Jun 27 07:19:33 PDT 2001

At 09:28 AM 6/27/01 -0400, Gregory G. wrote:
>What is this "debate" about? A town massacred its Jews, but it wasn't
>"really" anti-semitism? That one should make distinctions between just Jews
>(they're OK) and communist Jews (bad)? That one should ignore the place of
>constant fascist rhetoric to the effect of "communist = Jew" (or "Jew =
>communist," it didn't matter on their typically subrational level)?

Read what I actually wrote. I merely reported what's going on in the Polish media without passing any judgments of what is or is not "justified." The point I was actually making was a different one, namely that discrimination based on race is not universal, and seeing it as such is imposing US-centric categories of interpretation on other societies.

>Not that I'm standing from some moral high ground in the good old USA, of
>course. In fact, the rhetoric seems eerily similar to arguments that US
>massacres of entire Vietnamese villages were not "really" racist because,

What's really racist is that the skin color of the victims determines what is a 'holocaust'. Apparenlty, slaughtering Whites qualifies as such, but slaughtering Asians does not. This is a specifically US-problem where world-wide search for victimhood seems to be favorite passtime - for most other countries simply mourn their own dead.

wojtek