Defining Fascism

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Wed Jun 27 09:14:12 PDT 2001

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:

> fascist. Simultaneously, I'm in agreement with Zizek, who argues that we
> need to think a bit more about Stalinism

Not sure if I buy this. In the context of the Northamerican soon-to-be-semiperiphery, autarkic Third World industrialization (not state capitalism, but state accumulation in a condition of a scarcity of capital) doesn't ring many bells, unless one takes the position that the US is the Evil Empire, which it isn't. We don't control the world-system, Euro/Asiacapital does, and rents US mercenaries now and then to clip the wings of troublesome semiperipheries/oil-producers.

Perry Anderson gave a speech here the other day which basically restated the Evil Empire thesis, that there are no oppositional powers, that Japan and the EU are the loyal stooges of Wall Street, etc. This is not only problematic from the standpoint of economics (US is a global debtor, imports 400 billion EUR each year, barely has a machine-tools industry worthy of the name, has a rickety bubble-mad finance sector, etc.), it ties in all too neatly with a demobilizing moralism: the US gets to be the center of the universe, so we don't need to bother about forging multinational solidarity or cognizing the global or crossing borders. Anti-Americanism is all too American. We should be cognizing and theorizing the multinational.

-- Dennis