China Fascism weeds out the "unfit" from higher education

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jun 27 10:47:23 PDT 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>
>> Brad Mayer wrote:
>>
>> >up, always said that the USA is just a successful Nazism,
>>mellowed by victory.
>>
>> Right. That's why you're allowed to say this, instead of being
>> confined to a Texas Auschwitz.
>>

>Why pick on a careless phrase and deflect the core of Brad's post, and
>the post from me that he was responding to, which concerned the
>_foreign_ policy of the U.S.? I agree that the U.S. is not a fascist
>state, nor is it apt to become one (though it may become authoritarian,
>and is brutal to a substantial minority of its residents). But it _is_
>much worse, from a world perspective, than Hitler's Germany. Has anyone
>tried to add up the deaths in the last 50 years from U.S. foreign
>policy?

That kind of grim arithmetic seems kind of pointless to me. Yes, the foreign policy of the U.S. is a total crime against humanity, and has been for a century or more. But it's wrong to say the U.S. is a fascist state; if you do the word loses all meaning, and contributes to the indefensible and damaging idea that bourgeois civil liberties count for nothing.

Doug