vegetarianism

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Fri Jun 29 07:55:38 PDT 2001

Take it easy Gordon. I have read a bit about my old schoolmate's doings since he became a marginal public figure. There was an article a couple of years ago, (in the NYT magazine, maybe) about his family situation, which seemed fairly dysfunctional. Many of the key events happened around the time he and I were in the same place, though I knew noting of it at the time. All this leaves me with the impression that his celebrity was mostly fortuitous, and that he might well have gone along through life as a neighborhood crank if he hadn't happened into a particular situation. Lots of people are a bit paranoid and carry guns. Most make it through life without attracting attention. Once having done what he did, and, because of having attracted some approbation, given widespread racism and so forth, he seems to fancy himself a tribune of the people. Typical grandiose fantasy.

In fact, no sane politician will embrace him because he's too quirky, and because his persona isn't one that will bear much sustained scrutiny.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema