Defining Fascism

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Fri Jun 29 09:41:52 PDT 2001

Hi,

OK. Let's just look at regimes. My argument would be that even if a regime is authoritarian, totalitarian, repressive, militarist, involves major scapegoating, supports eugenics, has formed an alliance with some forms of capitalism, it is still not necessarily "fascist." The left has a tendency to call everything that it doesn't like that involves statism and capitalism "fascist.

Statism exists on the left and right. Stalinism was a form of rigid hierarchical statism, but would you call it fascist? Remember the debate as to whether capitalism had been restored in the Soviet Union? If it had, would Stalinism have become a form of fascism? Isn't more useful to say that communism and capitalism can have totalitarian forms? Arendt's actual argument was just that--while saying later that she never meant to argue that all forms of communism and fascism were not automatically totalitarian.

Government repression can exist outside fascism. Racism and antisemitism can exist outside fascism. One can argue that there is a high level of political repression in China, and that control of social relations is in many ways totalitarian, especially when it comes to gender and reproduction, but that doesn't automatically add up to "fascism."

-Chip