FW: WHICH ROAD TO QATAR: FOOD FIRST OR EXPORT FIRST?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Jun 30 10:33:12 PDT 2001

Vandana Shiva wrote:

The "Shrink or Sink" School anti-globalisation movement on the other hand views the way forward as based on a turnaround and shrinkage of the globalisation agenda. "No new Round-Turnaround" and "W.T.O. - sink or shrink" were the civil society calls for the Seattle and Qatar Ministerials respectively.

Who the hell is "civil society"? Surely it's not Hegel's, which "affords a spectacle of extravagance and want as well as of the physical and ethical degeneration common to them both" - the domain of "capital and class-divisions," a world of "compulsion" and "excessive poverty and the creation of a penurious rabble." But what is it then? Who claims to speak for whom on the basis of what accountability? Do farmers not want to export their crops? Do nonfarmers not want to eat imported food?

As Chris Mooney wrote in The American Prospect <http://www.prospect.org/webfeatures/2001/06/mooney-c-06-22.html> (commenting on Ronald Bailey's piece in the July Reason <http://www.reason.com/0107/fe.rb.rage.html>):