Clean Transportation Alternatives

Brenda Rosser shelter at tassie.net.au
Sat Jun 30 18:24:15 PDT 2001

Union of Concerned Scientists - work on 'clean transportation'

http://www.ucsusa.org/energy/?c01.html

Our Work

Currently we're working on the following initiatives:

a.. Fuel Economy Standards: Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) reduces global-warming pollutants by setting mileage standards. We are urging the Bush administration to raise those standards, requiring automakers to manufacture more fuel-efficient cars and trucks.

b.. Advanced-Technology Incentives: New technologies, like electric, hybrid, and fuel cell, hold the greatest potential for reducing transportation-related pollution. We advocate legislation that provides funding and incentives that will help bring these vehicles to market.

c.. Diesel Trucks and Buses: We are working nationally to support the Environmental Protection Agency's new standards that ensure that emissions from diesel vehicles are reduced. In additiion, we have launched a campaign to establish funds to allow school districts to purchase cleaner buses. For local fleets in California, we are encouraging policymakers to expand the use of clean technologies, like natural gas and fuel cells.

UNION OF CONCERNED SCIENTISTS 2 Brattle Square Cambridge, MA 02238 617-547-5552 Contact us at ucs at ucsusa.org

-------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20010701/554fb8f0/attachment.htm> -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: image/gif Size: 2018 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20010701/554fb8f0/attachment.gif>