Tibet

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Jun 30 19:35:58 PDT 2001

>The point is that the Dalai was a scoundrel whether he buddied with the
>CIA or not. The "culture" he was defending was a culture of
>exploitation, torture, and tyranny. At worst, either communist or
>capitalist China would be better than the Dalai.
>
>Carrol

During the Great Leap Forward and its subsequent famine? During the Cultural Revolution?

In choosing among theocratic tyrannies, the "softness" of rule is important: the last half century has certainly not felt "soft" in Tibet. Also important is the likelihood of evolution in a better direction, and I'm not sure how that cuts...

Brad DeLong