BK on Identity

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema crdbronx at erols.com
Thu Mar 1 07:54:51 PST 2001

That sounds about right, except that I first read the book in 1977. It came out originally in 1970, and he must have been working on it for a while before then, in a period, therefore, when reading Marx was a new thing, and looking at issues of political economy in anything more than a corporate liberal way, in what then was still "the new left," was something that lay in the future. At the time I read it I remember thinking that the argument, though mostly valid, had a somewhat ethereal character, as it mostly looked at racism as an intrapsychic process, abstracted from concrete reality. However, Kovel gives it a historical dimension by distinguishing three kinds of racism -- dominative racism, aversive racism, and metaracism -- which roughly correspond to slavery, jim crow, and the kind of racism that has followed the gains of the civil rights movement. He says in the preface to the edition that came out in 1983: "At the time of writing WHITE RACISM, I was deeply immersed in training at a medically orthodox Freudian psychoanalytic institute. I knew little of social theory, and less of marxism in the formal sense. Not until the work was completed did I realize that I had been developing a marxist sensibility, while using psychoanalytic concepts to express it. (In fact, it took a review to convey this insight to me!) I think this was a good thing, since marxism has always stood in need of an opening onto subjectivity, yet it could be no better than the freedom with which I was able to use my psychoanalytic language."

Though criticism of psychoanalysis from the left has been valuable in many cases, it is at its least useful when it draws on a vulgar and undialectical scientism, of the Grünbaum, Crews, etc. sort. Kovel shows how illuminating the "opening onto subjectivity" can be.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema