SillyValley Asocialites

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Mar 1 09:10:53 PST 2001

NETWORKED STRANGERS One of the findings of the just-published Social Capital Community Benchmark Survey, http://www.cfsv.org, is that Silicon Valley is a community that is relatively backward socially compared to national statistics: people in the Valley are 27% less likely than people elsewhere to visit with relatives, and are not very inclined to serve as community leaders, join clubs, or even attend public meetings. But even nationally, says survey director Robert Putnam, "there has been a serious erosion in American connectedness." James Koch of the Center for Science, Technology and Society at Santa Clara University says of Silicon Valley: "This is a region that is enigmatic. We have tremendous prowess when it comes to innovation and commercialization of technologies. That's often attributed to the robust networks that exist in this region. But we are remarkable weak in social ties. We are like a very, very well-trained athlete who can do one thing especially well. But we haven't cultivated this larger capacity for civic engagement." (San Jose Mercury News 1 Mar 2001) http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/svtop/social030101...