GDP Real and Otherwise

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Fri Mar 2 08:44:14 PST 2001

Yesterday's NYT reports that GDP rose 1.1%, a revision to the previous figure of 2.2%. The report goes on to say it is the lowest GDP growth since 1995.

In the same edition, in the World Business section, the NYT reports that Canada's just released figure for GDP is 2.6%. But it also warns that Canada's real GDP growth is 0.6%.

There is no mention of the US's "real" GDP, so what am I supposed to think? That our GDP is nominal, unadjusted for inflation? If so, doesn't that make our real GDP negative -- in other words, a recession?

Am I right in guessing that the NYT omitted a necessary caveat in reporting our GDP?

-- John K. Taber