Japan (was Re: All that is solid melts into air

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 2 10:14:39 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Rather mildly put.
>
>Judis was a prime cause for Jan & me to drop our subscription to _In
>These Times_. Before we had undergone sufficient Pavlovian conditioning
>to always check the byline before reading ITT an identical outburst from
>one or the other of us had occurred a number of times. We would both be
>quietly reading, when one would burst out, "Who the hell wrote this? O,
>Judis . . . ."

Judis' politics are questionable, but he's a smart guy and a good reporter. When at ITT, he wrote about things that no one else really was writing about (e.g. the politics of protectionism, which he was for). If I only read people whose politics I found congenial, I'd have a lot more time to watch TV.

Doug