Buffy & Angel

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sat Mar 3 10:16:55 PST 2001

Hi all,

Just throwing this thread up to get some discussion on our Sunnydale-and-LA friends, which has been missing from LBO for a while.

It never ceases to amaze me that sci-fi/fantasy allows all sorts of things to hide in plain sight. While the media discusses the comparative existence of gay & lesbian charcters on various networks, while noting how little action they get, Willow and her squeeze have happily been making out pretty regularly with a couple of pretty erotic shows.

I should note that my circle of progressive law student buddies all pretty religiously watch the shows, although Angel has been getting especial appreciation this year. The fact that the bad guys are a corporate law firm whose senior partner is Satan or some variation is of course great. But the trials of Angel & friends to run a small org to fight the good fight, while struggling to pay the bills, is about as close as you get on TV to detailing the actual day-to-day trials of many political activists.

Have to admit that these shows are still my only must-see TV shows. Still one of the smartest written shows on TV as well.

Nathan Newman