BK on identity

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Sat Mar 3 11:12:18 PST 2001

Yoshie Quotes Boushey:

>Boushey's numbers don't demonstrate the above, since according to her
own findings "[i]ncreases in unemployment for discriminated-against workers lowers all earnings" (p. 6).

You are absolutely right. She says several other placers on that same page that unemployment of any segment lowers wages for all segments -- just not as much.

I'd missed that -- you have given me just what I asked for. I had always taken the postion that "Racism is not only wrong; it is inexpedient" (though I never phrased it that wel). But the Boushey article had made me wonder. I am glad that the facts continue to support this position.

Believe me, this is an argument I'm very happy to lose.