David Horowitz-for Chuck G.

berlin at socrates.Berkeley.EDU berlin at socrates.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Mar 4 12:30:10 PST 2001

Going with Chuck Grimes suggestion here.

Horowitz is a big old victim, as you can see.

In Your Face

NB: David Horowitz welcomes and reads all comments. Due to the volume,

however, he is unable to respond to each message personally.

UC Berkeley Horowitz:

There is no reason to come to Cal to debate anyone except those

involved in this particular dispute, or representing the reparations

cause. Mr. Wise is irrelevant to this dispute. Mr. Wise can have his

debate with me over anything he wishes, anytime,anywhere, provided he

finds some person or group who will come up with my honorarium and

expenses, because that's the way I ration my time. I am willing to do

a Berkeley debate with the other side and wave my honorarium because I

obviously started something there I am not going to let them have any

excuse to walk away from it.

------ I'm responding again- I hope this

isn't tiresome. Now we're getting somewhere. I did look up Randall

Robinson and I realize now that he is central to the reparations cause

and isn't such an unknown. I guess I'm ignorant this because like most

college students, I majored in science, engineering and/or business

and my sum exposure to humanities and science classes consisted of

economics 101, and american history since 1850. But anyway, I was

wondering.. if we go to Robinson and he refuses to appear with you,

would you consider debating Judith Butler of UC Berkeley on the

reparations issue, if she were also partial to this idea. Because if

Robinson just says no, we would otherwise reach a block point. Perhaps

the ASUC or Cal performances could even give you the honorarium.

Reasons why I think this would be a good idea are: 1. You probably

don't like her work very much - that's assumed. 2. she would probably

support reparations (I mean, why wouldn't she?) and would be able to

represent the position well, even though I haven't plowed through all

her articles and books, and her main field is queer and gender

identity studies 3. She is at Cal, so she wouldn't be 'imported' from

outside, and she would be a big figurehead for a lot of the things you

object to about Berkeley as a school and as a city. It would be a

great match.

Christine Petersen (ottilie at hotmail.com)

Berkeley, CA

3/4/01

Horowitz responds:

You're still not appreciating the problem. Robinson will say no. But

there are a lot of people associated with this reparations claim --

Johnnie Cochran and Charles Ogletree and Henry Louis Gates to name

three. The important thing is that unless the students who marched

into the Daily Cal offices regard the chosen opponent as an

appropriate spokesman for them, the entire exercise is pointless.