Clinton to NAACP: "I think I was the first black president"

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 4 17:29:42 PST 2001

The delusional arrogance of this man is astounding. CK

Clinton to NAACP: "I think I was the first black president"

- - - - - - - - - - - -

March 4, 2001 |

Former President Bill Clinton joined top black entertainers at the 32nd NAACP Image Awards, where he was honored by the nation's largest civil rights group.

Clinton entered the Universal Amphitheatre to a standing ovation from the crowd.

NAACP President Kweisi Mfume presented Clinton with the President's Award and credited him with improving the lives of blacks during his eight years in office.

"What really matters is our common humanity," Clinton told the crowd. "When we forget it, we suffer. When we remember it, we prosper."

Clinton's ties to the nation's largest civil rights group were strong throughout his presidency. While in office, the former president spoke several times before the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and garnered record high opinion poll numbers with black voters.

The Image Awards honor entertainers and other public figures who present positive portrayals of blacks in American culture.

Comedian Chris Tucker hosted the awards show, which is scheduled for broadcast Friday on Fox.

During one segment, Tucker sat beside Clinton in the audience and joked that the former commander in chief is so popular among minorities that some consider him the first black president.

"That's why I went to Harlem, because I think I am the first black president," Clinton responded, referring to plans for his new office in New York.

Actors Morgan Freeman and Michael Clarke Duncan presented Sidney Poitier with the NAACP's Hall of Fame award.

Poitier is credited with appearing in several roles during the 1960s that helped break the color barrier in Hollywood, including "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" and "In the Heat of the Night."

"I shall remember this night forever," Poitier said.

Comic Steve Harvey, who plays the vice principal of an urban high school on the WB sitcom "The Steve Harvey Show," received the Entertainer of the Year Award.

"When you believe in God, some unbelievable things can happen to you," Harvey said, tears streaming from his eyes as he accepted the award.

His show led the winners with four awards, including best comedy series and best comedy series actor for Harvey. Co-stars Cedric the Entertainer and Terri J. Vaughn won supporting comedy awards.

"City of Angels," a hospital drama no longer in production, won three awards, including best dramatic show. Star Blair Underwood won best dramatic series actor, and Ossie Davis won for best dramatic series supporting actor.

Underwood, who also won a supporting film actor award for "Rules of Engagement," said his CBS series initially suffered from story problems and was lucky to survive for two seasons.

"We know that (survival) was partly due to politics and the support of this organization, the NAACP," Underwood said backstage.

Dozens of black entertainers, writers, musicians and others were honored in 23 other categories Thursday night.

Gospel singer Yolanda Adams took home four awards, including outstanding song for "Open My Heart."

Associated Press