SENATOR BYRD: 'THERE ARE WHITE NIGGERS'

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 4 23:00:00 PST 2001

Byrd belonged to Klan once didn't he? Seeing word of that gaffe earlier today made me dig out my copy of The Avengers album. Wish I'd seen Penelope Houston and James Wilsey(?) the guitarist in the band (later teamed up with the reincarnation of Roy Orbison, Chris Isaak) in her punk days. Here are the lyrics to one of the songs on the album. If Napster was still up I could steer y'all to a pirated copy.

Michael Pugliese P.S. Growing up in Maryland in the late 60's, early 70's, racist speech and feeling was everywhere. From my Mom esp. I was taught never to use the "n" word. Years later, subbing in Oakland, Ca. jr. and sr. high schools, the word always grated, as it does today when I hear, "Punk ass Motherfucker, " in my neighborhood now. I've always been a bit skeptical of the oppressed "turning words around" strategy. But, then speaking closer to the heart, "Queer Nation" vs. "Assimilationist" I'm closer to the latter. Until, I talk to one that is. Anyway....

http://penelope.net/white.n-word.html

white n-word lyrics by Penelope Houston/ music by P. Houston, G. Ingraham, D. O'Brien, J. Wilsey

Well, you don't know what you want working everyday in your restaurant your life is slipping out of control lose your job gonna lose you soul

now boy, young and white, so you wanna make it bigger boy, you better watch your step, white n-word

When you were young you had such big plans such big ambitions gonna be a good man I say look at you now, oh what a coward living your life but you don't know how to live

boy (little boy) young and white, so you try to make it bigger boy, you just don't understand do you white n-word?

Work like a devil, work like a dog where does it get you, where do you go oooohhhhh Work for the money, work for the show Work for the people that you don't know

I see you driving around in your car pretend you're not what you really are just look in the mirror look in your eyes what you discover will be no surprise something is missing something's wrong you got your money but something's gone something you had right from the start you should have listened to your heart

Work like a dog, work like a slave, Work like a devil, and what have you made ohhhhhh no, no, no Work like a dog, work 9-5 working shaking his hand you're staying alive ohhhhhh no, no where you gonna go Work work every day Work your life away and sure it pays but where does it get you, where are you now come on white n-word