Clinton to NAACP: "I think I was the first black president"

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Mar 5 07:58:18 PST 2001

No, Rock's riff dates from much earlier. He did it on Saturday night live much earlier, long before Monica even was an issue.

-- Nathan

----- Original Message ----- From: "jf noonan" <jfn1 at msc.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 10:18 AM Subject: Re: Clinton to NAACP: "I think I was the first black president"

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Chris Kromm wrote:

> But didn't Toni Morrison write a gushing piece (in The
> Nation? elsewhere?) claiming Bill was our first black prez
> -- without humor? It's an ongoing theme...

Yes, in the _New Yorker_ and I imagine that is what started Chris Rock's riff...

Toni Morrison

Clinton as the first black president

New Yorker, October 1998

http://wings.buffalo.edu/philosophy/faculty/smith/clinton/morrison.html