BK on Identity

Mon Mar 5 12:11:20 PST 2001

Charles Brown wrote:

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Loss of vision is surely a chief factor in the such-as-it-is quality
>>of the left today.
>
>I agree with this. I think the best way to fight working class racism
>is by appeals to universality and justice, emotional appeals to human
>solidarity, and not by appeals to some vague unprovable long-term
>material self-interest.

>CB: Why not appeal to both ?

Because the case for material self-interest is at best long term, and not really proved. Yoshie seems to think it's proved, but as far as I can tell she's just asserting that and citing theory to back up the case.

CB: It seems that Reich's studies are just as "much" empirical evidence as Boushey's , but evidence supporting the opposite concluson than that that Boushey draws. Boushey's study doesn't seem to be the only statistical evidence on the issue in dispute.