Clinton to NAACP: "I think I was the first black president"

Gary Ashwill gna at duke.edu
Mon Mar 5 13:15:24 PST 2001

I remembered Morrison's piece as "gushing" too, but if you look at the relevant passage it's a little more complicated than that---more about how representations of Clinton display (racist) "tropes of blackness," how he's criminalized/sexualized, etc. in the same way that black men are. Now it's mutated into something positive for Bill to gloat about, which doesn't seem to be what Morrison or Chris Rock had in mind.

By the way, note that Morrison attributes the notion to unnamed "black men" during Whitewater, so maybe it was Chris Rock's idea in the first place.

Gary Ashwill

This is the passage:

African-American men seemed to understand it right away. Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black President. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas. And when virtually all the African-American Clinton appointees began, one by one, to disappear, when the President's body, his privacy, his unpoliced sexuality became the focus of the persecution, when he was metaphorically seized and bodysearched, who could gainsay these black men who knew whereof they spoke? The message was clear "No matter how smart you are, how hard you work, how much coin you earn for us, we will put you in your place or put you out of the place you have somehow, albeit with our permission, achieved. You will be fired from your job, sent away in disgrace, and--who knows?--maybe sentenced and jailed to boot. In short, unless you do as we say (i.e., assimilate at once), your expletives belong to us."