New Balance

John Gulick jlgulick at sfo.com
Mon Mar 5 17:05:58 PST 2001

Doug sez:

>Biz Week isn't ever brilliant, or even infuriating like The Economist
>- it's just solid and informative. That was a useful article, even if
>the political economy is banal.

I sez:

OK, I grant you that Biz Week does not recite mantra-like the Ten Commandments of neo-liberalism, a la The Economist (nor is it imbued w/the smarmy "I told you so" tone of voice a la The Economist). What I meant when I parenthetically remarked that the article was printed in Biz Week was that I shouldn't realistically expect the reporter to find an "expert" who was willing to point out (or point out himself) the dialectical relationship b/w starvation wage sweatshops abroad and flec-spec manufactories at home. Instead of mentioning that higher rates of surplus value extraction abroad and at home are guarantees of one another, the reporter chose to identify w/capital & "the consumer" by focusing on where the stuff can be made most profitably. Shades of Ricardo. But as an empirical illustration, yes, a useful article.

John Gulick