BK on Identity

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Mar 6 01:21:29 PST 2001

Daniel Davies wrote:

>Effectively, the black workers are being made to write
>unemployment insurance for the white workers. This is
>a real benefit to the white workers, which would not
>be available to them under any system (including a
>non-capitalist system) which was not also racist.
>They have someone else to bear the brunt of
>fluctuations in the business cycle.

In my opinion, the USA would have a more generous system of unemployment insurance but for racism, for racism works against making a militant demand for universalist social programs for the working class. So, while white workers suffer less than black workers, for instance because black workers are more subject to the business cycle than they are, white workers, too, suffer from the inadequate unemployment insurance. Further, _white workers who work in the same occupational categories, industries, etc. as black workers in the same region_ face downward wage pressures from black unemployment.

Which is in the real interest of white workers -- a generous & universal unemployment insurance which decreases the "cost of job loss" or white supremacy to create a thin cushion that does not prevent the lowering of all earnings?

Yoshie