BK on Identity

Tue Mar 6 06:31:45 PST 2001

I just wanted to note that all sides here agree that racism "do" exist in the U.S. TODAY, 2001. The main fight on this issue in the U.S. today, is against Reaganite racists who deny that there is any anti-Black or other racism in the U.S. now. This problem has been solved, according to them, except for the "reverse racism " of affirmative action programs.

I just heard a N.Y. bookwriter, "commentator" on Detroit talk radio today say, on a predominantly Black station, that she has not seen any evidence of racism in the numbers of Black voters prevented from voting in various ways in the recent Florida election. Denial of racism is racism no. uno in the U.S.A. today.

After we get more people admitting that racism is still a big social factor in the U.S. ( white racism), then we can work on pursuading the white workers that , on balance, racism is against their global interests, their revolutionary interests, undermines their freedom and liberty.

Workers of the World, Unite !

CB

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 03/06/01 04:43AM >>>
>Charles Brown wrote:
>
>>CB: It seems that Reich's studies are just as "much" empirical
>>evidence as Boushey's , but evidence supporting the opposite
>>concluson than that that Boushey draws. Boushey's study doesn't
>>seem to be the only statistical evidence on the issue in dispute
>
>Exactly. Which is why I said the case is not proved, and probably
>not conclusively provable by statistical techniques.
>
>Doug

On one hand, you say the question is not a matter of evaluating competing empirical studies (e.g., Michael Reich versus Heather Boushey). On the other hand, you claim "Yoshie seems to think it's proved, but as far as I can tell she's just asserting that and citing theory to back up the case," thus suggesting that one shouldn't criticize empirical studies from a theoretical vantage point different from the one that informs the studies in question.

What exactly is your point, aside from reiterating your belief that we should build our practice on an assumption that white supremacy is in the interest of white workers (which in my opinion is grounded in neither compelling empirical evidence nor persuasive theoretical argument)?

Yoshie